Warclan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Co-op games: MAG (Massive Action Game) PS3

2 posters

Go down

Co-op games: MAG (Massive Action Game) PS3 Empty Co-op games: MAG (Massive Action Game) PS3

Post  DriftWood Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:44 am

I made a mistake. A friend offered me a chance to play MAG and loaned his PS3 to me. So I tried to play this famed MAG. My previous experiences had been only a short tries of the same game and I was impressed bu even those tiny instances.

I paid a small fee to get a new character cause my underwhelming capabilities to play bad would destroy my friends reputation Smile So I tried and played on a relugar server and alone as a part of the 128 member army that fought against another 128 player army. And I failed miserably.

MAG is a game that simulates warfare in near future. Three teams exist (Valor = USA, Raven = West Europe, SVER = Soviet/guerrilla) and they are modeled by the troops they seemingly represent. Their weapons differ in firepower and outlook, which is very nice. MAG is multiplayer only so no short singleplayer campaings exists. And the teamwork is the key to this game. Solorunning medics are kicked out very soon! cheers

But most of those who run solo are newbies. The game goes like this. Players are members of squads of 8 players. One of them is a sergeant. Regular privates do their stuff like in ET. Medics, engys, snipers etc. You see loads of things in the small map on your right upper corner. Red dots are enemies.

Gameplay:

As I said, the first try of the game leaves you really mystified. What to do?
Start following your teammates and hope they know what to do. Slowly you start to learn to use the command map and the orders your sergeant, officers and OIC gives you. (OIC = Officer In Charge aka the supreme leader).

Sergeants are capable of ordering mortar or artillery fire on location near you. Officers and OIC can have air strikes and some even more devastating attacks on the enemy. Lets just hope they know what they are doing Smile

You get points in the game by making the objectives. Kill streaks and accuracy dont give you points cause they are not needed for the objective. If you can do it with your team then that is you get those points. Friendly fire is on, so dont kill your team mates.

The best way to start is by being a medic. You cant go as sniper cause you dont have points or the money to get his weapons and stuff. So you need to play and get skills. And one of the best way to get points and skills is to heal and revive you mates. Not scoring headshots Razz

Gameplay footage (better quality)

And as on ET the clans are important. I played as a part of KFS clan as my group of older generation players (OGS = Old Gamers Society hehe. Mainly players who have consoles) plays as a part of that too.

Headsets are almost a necessity. And it is difficult to aim with PS3 contoller. The game supports Playstation Move, but I am not ready to test that. Smile

I could go on and on about MAG, but I dont as I have not worked out what there is in this game. I have only scratched the surface. Loads of huge maps to memorise and explore. What to do in situations and do I even dare to try being a sergeant after I have the right to try for one. Engineering is cool cause instead of pliers you can weld your targets into a single piece. Smile

But after playing MAG for some hours ET was a major let down. Rude behaviour etc. But now to weld our ACP back together. It serves as our spawning point too. If it explodes we have drive another on all the way here again!

-Drift

DriftWood

Back to top Go down

Co-op games: MAG (Massive Action Game) PS3 Empty Re: Co-op games: MAG (Massive Action Game) PS3

Post  HARDY Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:47 am

jawohaaahhhllll!!!!

HARDY

Back to top Go down

Co-op games: MAG (Massive Action Game) PS3 Empty Re: Co-op games: MAG (Massive Action Game) PS3

Post  DriftWood Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:06 pm

And now after more gaming with this setup.

It has some of the problems that ET has.

1) If your team sucks from the beginning then it really does suck. No shuffle or anything to help the situation.
2) If your team sucks -> players disconnect -> Your team sucks even more

if you dont play on a clan team or try to play in a team who composed of newbies and not objective players your team will suck. Same as with any other game.

Most morbid situation arises when you have been placed in a team of 8 players (one of them is sarge) and then 3 players try to vote out the current sergeant so that maybe one of them will be the teams new leader... Moronic way of doing things if there ever was one. You have to have played enough and gathered the points to be one. Usually game just selects one who wants to position at random.

3) Too good clans. The same problem we have here on ET. One team is soo overwhelmingly good that they just slaughter the other team. In multiplayer game that soon turns into nothing and nobody wants to play it afterwards. Pwning is not the objective here.

So not that dream game it seemed. But I have started to enjoy it. Played as light medic/engineer/fool and I killed only one enemy and died seven times. Still I managed to get nearly 1000 points during that game and that was mainly reviving others and welding our mortar, anti-aircraft guns and ACP into one working pieces of machinery.
And I received invitations to include me into several friend lists and at least three invitations to different clans. O.o

And the secret was just to do what I was asked for and revive players so they can cover me when I was welding some of our machinery back into a working order.

I can see myself buying a PS3 soon Smile

-Drift

DriftWood

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum