Warclan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ET Tips

+6
predator
Kayos
Grim
slay3r
HARDY
Iveech
10 posters

Go down

ET Tips Empty ET Tips

Post  Iveech Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:14 pm

When i started playing ET again 1 month ago, i have begun doing a little notes, with tips and ideas that i invented ingame.
After 3 weeks i gathered all and created a little tip topic. I hope it will help, same as it did it to me. Time to improve yourself, good luck.

|=||=||--------FOREWORD--------||=||=|
This is what i have learn playing Enemy Territory. It should help you becomming better, but main point of this is to help you maintaining a steady aim. That you can rely on it all the time. When you are comming back to the game, the knowledge you once possesed, comes back to you. Not all and not in one time. So this topic will be uptaded. This is what i know for now and now its all yours.
You can use it, or lose it by your own will.
If you have any problems you always might PM me.

|=||=||--------BEGINING--------||=||=|
How can i improve in Enemy Territory? How can i kill whole allied team with luger and 1 granade?
Will I ever be WICKED SICK? Why is Kayo always killing me? What can i do to kill him??
Questions come over and over again. Answering to them will improve 'battle sense'.
First you need to learn from your experience. The more you play the more you can 'read' from the game.
Training is basic, but here i would like to mention a things that are usually ignored. They come here, by the importance:

1)FPS - and by that i mean having a stable FPS (you can actually have a good and steady aim with 60fps if they do not DROP)
2)MOUSE - dont expect to be accurate with 200dpi or using a chineese 1euro worth mice. You also has to eliminate friction/sample drops.
3)SENSITIVITY - bah! obvious... but how to make a right one??!?!?

As i said these three things needs to appear at the same time. With good FPS but crappy mouse you wont be able to point enemy's head. With good mouse/proper sens and 10 FPS you will also could not hit enemy in the head, simply because your comp will be warping.
Having a too fast/slow sensitivity will slower down your reaction or makes you moving crosshair over enemy's head. The answer is simple and its only one, YOU NEED a proper settings. Anything less will is below us.

|=||=||--------FPS--------||=||=|
I bit of obvious. I saw here config from TheLastResort player. This is a PRO config. If you have problems with your FPS use it and you will get rid off them. Usually people have got /com_maxfps 76 or /com_maxfps 125. No needed for more, but the thing that is killing us are FPS DROPS. They cause you are missing. They cause you are dead man.
When your computer looses 50 frames in a second forget about aiming.
Get out of there and do not come back untill you improve it. I myself use a config made 10 years ago for RTCW, by the dC clan.
I have made 2 changes, improved graphics r_lodbias "0" (WHEN my comp allowed) and changed resolution.
So when you have graphic problems copy mine r_settings or use those from TLR cfg. If you decide to use mine, you need to change following lines:
--> r_displayRefresh 125 //should be equal to your com_maxFPS//
--> r_customwidth "1440" //im using widescreen LG monitor, type here your optimal resolution//
--> r_customheight "900" //same as above//
--> seta r_picmip 1 //0 for perfect graphic, 5 for best FPS//

Lets asume its done. You still can be better. Set r_displayRefresh excatly the same as com_maxfps AND mouse sample rate.

//Mouse Sample Rate -> indicates how many times per second windows refreshes you mouse position.
The trick is to have the same or higher value than maxfps and diplay refresh.
1 refresh = 1 frame (per second) = 1 mouse position displayed.
Smoothly moves guaranteed.
http://I.E. I use 125 fps with the same refresh value. Having 250 mouse sample rates means that position of my mouse
is refreshed twice before displayed at single frame.

Having a good number of FPS is a crucial matter for a good aiming. Even the most expensive stuff will be useless if you dont have a steady number of frames. How many frames are needed? The more you have the easier aiming will be. Although after you reach 60-70 FPS, any additional frames would not matter so much.
60 frames gives you a solid base, where you can fight withouth fear of being warped. And one more, i am talking about 60 FPS in the middle of fight, where you shoot, and so do others. They move, jump, crouch and throw granades that explode before you. If you have 60 FPS in these circumstances, it is a good sign.
There is no point to be happy if you have 60 frames when standing near the wall and staring at it. You need a solid base for playing, 60 FPS gives you that. Be aware though, sometimes you can have even 300< FPS when standing still, but when you went into the fight, they suddenly drop to 40-50-60. This is not a good situation either.
The bigger the drop of FPS is, the biggest are trouble that your computer is having with displaying action. I have experienced this problem too. My first comp has radeon 9200. In valhalla when i was alone i could even do com_maxfps 333. And there were 333 fps, but when someone else joined they droped.
When the fight begun they were reduced even more (to 50 fps or so). I solved the problem by reducing FPS to 76 and lowering graphic details. (There was a still drop but from 76 to ca.69-70)

|=||=||--------MOUSE--------||=||=|
The second most important thing, after FPS. I will explain here matters of DPI resolution, friction, mousepads and so on.
Lets start about mouses overall. You have and cheap ones and those made for 'PRO GAMING'. What are diffrences between them?
ALL cheap mouses have got something that is called REVERSE ACCELERATION. It occurs when you move you mouse with high speed, changing directions all the time (classic example -> trying to hit the head xD).
Because of the speed and changes of the directions mouse is becomming fooled. The chip processor (withing mouse) could not analyze so many information that are sent by the sensor. Current poistion of the mouse could not be linked to its before location. When this happens, the mouse usually turns left or right. If you have a very, very bad mouse it could even stuck (reset windows needed then ffs =//)
From what i know is that some of the top classes mouses still have got reverse acceleration (although its much smaller) like Razer diamondback.
The cheap mouses have limited DPI resolution. Its constant. You will be using top resultion all the time. This is very similar to the situation when you record a CD or DVD dics. You are not using top speed, cause its more likely to record with errors.
The advantage that top mouses have got here is indisputable. You can lower your dpi and let your mouse work at 1200 which is located in the middle. Not mentioning that these mouses have got higher DPI resolution (usually between 800-2000, when most of mouses ends at 800 dpi) and better quality chipset.
Anyway your mouse could not work in the air, it needs mousepad and this leads us to another, mainly ignored problem => FRICTION.

What is friction and how does it effect on your aiming?
Im sure you have noticed that sometimes when you want to move your crosshair a bit further, mouse resists to do that. This is friction.
And to eliminate it you need mousepads that allows mouse to slide (reduces friction). Friction cause your mouse to "jump" from one point to another. It goes like hold-move-hold-move-hold-move... and so on. Now try to push your mouse using 1 finger on your desk? Hard isnt it?
To get rid off of this effect you need to have a mousepad that allows your mouse to slide smoothly. I have suffered this problem too when i was using a mousepad added to my mouse when i bought it (some logitech, but not very high quality).
Belive me, buying a mousepad can change alot.
When i get my QPAD i was amazed, because the effect of friction is now unseen. When i push my mouse it slides (finally!) 5 or more centimeters. Be aware though, not every mouse cooperates with every mousepad. Buy a mouse and see what's the best mousepad for it.
QPAD is very expensive. There is however a cheaper way. You need about 15 euros. Buy a Steelpad QCK (mini), it works with mosts of mouses (but search online how it does with your mouse) and Miceskates or Everglide.
Type 'google -> miceskates' if you dont know what i am talking about.
This way will also reduce your friction, but still QPAD is better solution if you care about quality.

Conclusion.
If you want to point the target precisiely, you need a mouse that will respond to excatly what you do. Cheap mouse could not do that. Unfortunatly you have to spent some money and buy a good mouse.
Propably best choice will be MX518//Razer Deathadder (if you can stand the lay out -.-) or G5. Choice of the mouse is very important. Some mouse could not cooperate with mousepads, so buy mouse and then mousepad.
Still without good mousepad you will be having friction problems. Buy a Steelpad QCK+miceskates if you want to solve it.

|=||=||--------SENSITIVITY--------||=||=|
Now you do know what depends on your efforts, and what comes from your hardware.
Unfortunatly Windows could also be destructive in the matter of your aim (thanks to Microsoft ofc).
First, disable improving pointer precision at:
'Start->Settings->Control Panel->Mouse->3rd Bookmark (i think its called Pointer Properties but im not sure> mark off Improve Pointer Precision
Then create a new Text Document, copy this into that document:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse]
"SmoothMouseXCurve"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,a0,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,40,\
"SmoothMouseYCurve"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,66,a6,02,00,00,00,00,00,cd,4c,\
05,00,00,00,00,00,a0,99,0a,00,00,00,00,00,38,33,15,00,00,00,00,00

Save the file and add this to your registry.

Now we need to increase sample rates only if you are using PS2:
USB cannot be changed =/
'Start->Settings->Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager->
Mice and other pointing devices-> Double click the entry with the mousename below it'
Look for Advanced Setting -> Sample Rate "xxx"

I wrote about this problem at the begining.
If you are changing sample rate use the value of your FPS & DisplayRefresh or double it.

We are heading to the end now. If you have done what i wrote you definatly need a new sensitivity =// (this is cost of changes)
At first you need to choose your dpi. Its not that important but as i said 800 is absolute minimum.
The bigger DPI value you will choose the faster your mouse will be.
Although it will be harder to find a proper sensitivity. Adding 0.1 to your sensitivity will cause speed to
grow much faster @ 2000 dpi than 1000dpi.
My personal choice is 1000 dpi but i have played with 1200 dpi too. Nevertheless NEVER ever get below 800 dpi.
Finding your best sensitivity is just a magic. It happenes. One day you play with sens that seems fairly good,
the other you add 0.2 and then it begins.
You moves are much faster, never miss, keep the crosshair on target. When i find my sensitivity i have noticed a strange thing.
Infight when my enemy stands still, no matter how fast i move or where i was turning, my crosshair lies like 'frozen' on enemy's head. It doesnt even move a milimeter.
And i think this is it. You can move wild and track at the same time an object without losing control of what you do.

|=||=||--------END--------||=||=|
There are players who are changing the sensitivity whenever they can (i.e Play4Pro, yes mate read this)
They keep asking others for their sens and DPI, hoping to find their best settings by copying others.
Unfortunatly they are terribly mistaken. Do they belive that someone else's config will make them playing just like that person?
We can adapt to the circumstances. If you are low sensitivity aimer you will never be good with high sens, but you dont need to seek for sensitivity 2 years either.
Your body will adapt to the sensitivity that mainly suits your reflex and movements. The more you play with your sensitivity,
they more you are adapting to it and the better you are becomming with it.
Now as you see, those who are switching sensitivity every day could not be more mistaken.

Still if you do have a serious problems with finiding your sensitivity i suggest to see in what is called 'Aiming by RaZiel'
That was very popular years ago, but its forgotten now, could be hard to find.
You can mail Helena or Linsey cause i have found a one for them
Unfortunalty i do not remember where, anymore.

Last edited by Iveech on Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Iveech

Back to top Go down

ET Tips Empty Re: ET Tips

Post  slay3r Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:23 pm

ok.. i read only half of it but it looks great info for beginners Smile
slay3r
slay3r

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:26 pm

Bullshit, best tips: Have fun and enoy the game, screw the settings and use the settings you like the most and are most comfortable with. And there is no such thing as "the best" mouse it's a matter of taste and what you like i can buy a 100 euro mouse and till think a 20 euro mouse is better for me cause it fits and is my style more then the 100 euro netiher are there any "best" mousepad. Going into your register and start changing that it useless for a game most people will not know how EVEN with a guide and it does not make a big diffrence.

Back to top Go down

Post  HARDY Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:39 pm

too lazy to read that long stories....
but i'm sure u r right ivee
lol

HARDY

Back to top Go down

Post  slay3r Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:13 pm

Bitchy wrote:Bullshit, best tips: Have fun and enoy the game, screw the settings and use the settings you like the most and are most comfortable with. And there is no such thing as "the best" mouse it's a matter of taste and what you like i can buy a 100 euro mouse and till think a 20 euro mouse is better for me cause it fits and is my style more then the 100 euro netiher are there any "best" mousepad. Going into your register and start changing that it useless for a game most people will not know how EVEN with a guide and it does not make a big diffrence.

yea i agree.. a game is made to have fun not doing these things.. these tips which iveech gave are very complicated to understand..
slay3r
slay3r

Back to top Go down

Post  Grim Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:21 pm

not really you nerds! EVEN i understand them how could anyone be more stupid than i am :S

Grim

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:32 pm

Grim you cant do a shit with computers without asking someone :s

Back to top Go down

Post  Kayos Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:42 pm

nice guide, keep it up! I WANT MORE KNOWLEDGE!
Kayos
Kayos

http://www.ballsoffury.com

Back to top Go down

Post  predator Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:03 am

me likes this topic.

predator

Back to top Go down

Post  boydent Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:10 pm

For the people who are interested in the "aiming by Raziel" heres a link to the enemy-territory.com website, its on there. downloads --> tools
http://enemy-territory.4players.de/download.php?view.368
boydent
boydent

Back to top Go down

Post  Bananas Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:53 pm

Bananas
Gay fruit
Gay fruit

Back to top Go down

Post  theone Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:54 am

Nice tutorial, it helps much.
theone
theone

Back to top Go down

Post  R0u$back Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:02 pm

predator wrote:me likes this topic.
Yes good idea of topic.

By the way I'm not totaly agreeing with iveech about the sensitivity part (well I have read about 50% of what he typed...will read the rest later!).

I often change a bit the sensitivity of the mouse, according to how i sit, how tired I am... I even change sometimes the sensitivty of the mouse on windows, so I need to change it again in ET. Also often with the sensitivty of the previous day my aim is pretty bad, then I modify it and I come back to a better acc... (that's why my accuracy changes between 27 and 38/39 the good days!). So for me change his sensitivity pretty often is needed!

R0u$back

Back to top Go down

Post  Iveech Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:10 pm

what an old topic :$
well i would like to add something about adjusting your accuracy

At first you have to find a resolution that suits you well, ( which means you need to test them all), for example for me its 1152-864. It does not have to be the highest resolution your monitor can provide.
After this you should start looking for cg_fov. Its the easiest part tbh. I cannot hit anything with 90fov, but it goes alot easier with 100. Your choice.
Third is your crosshair. Some might be suprised its not your sensitivity. But size of the crosshair really matters. Too big will cover whole your enemy. Too tiny and you will be losing it every time you move it. Color has also a huge impact. Use white crosshair@ et_ice and you're done xP my favorites are cyan/magenta/green/yellow. I change them whenever i have a feeling my eyes got bored of the color i use. It really helps.
Atlast you might end with finiding your sensitivity. How to do this? Play and keep tracking your acc. Imo dont change it (sens.) every 2 secs. Make your changes after the map ends and play next map with your new. Remember your accuracies/sensitivities and go back to the sensitivity that gives you most accuracy. Play with it long, it might feel wierd at the begining, but you will get used to it.
EDIT Why its so important go keep playing with stable sensitivity? Because the method i described above allows you to find sensitivity that naturally suits your reflex and instict. You might be stucking indoors, but infight this sens naturally cooperates with your instincts. The longer you are using it the better you are moving with it. Im making changes with my sens 0.1 up or down from basic 2.2, but only before match starts. Still 0.1 is a cosmetical change.

Iveech

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down